RB8 Bit Error Rate Tester (BERT)
The RapidM RB8 Bit Error Rate Tester (BERT) is a standalone unit designed for the testing of serial and packet H/V/UHF data modem communications equipment and communications links. The RB8 BERT is used to measure the number of errors (bit or packet) in a data transmission system.
For serial testing the RB8 BERT generates a test data stream that is passed through the data transmission system. The received data stream is compared against a reference data stream to detect any errors introduced by the system under test. The RB8 BERT can detect bits in error and missed bits (also called bit slips).
For packet data and link setup testing the RB8 BERT requests the modem to establish links and send varying packets of data through the transmission system. Indications received from the modem are used to determine link probability as well as packet throughput and packet retry rate.
The RapidM RB8 BERT generates a pseudo-random binary sequence (PRBS) based on standard test patterns. The RB8 generates these data streams at data rates from 50 bps to 120 kbps in synchronous and 50 bps to 230k4 bps in asynchronous DTE modes. The RB8 BERT Is capable of generating and checking user defined patterns from 8 to 128 bits in length. A custom text sequence is also supported.
For serial data testing the 63, 511, and 2047 bit PRBS patterns are standard with continuous and burst transmission modes also supported.
The RB8 BERT has an intuitive graphical user interface on the front panel that displays basic error statistics and allows the user to control the operation of the BERT hardware. The RB8 BERT can also be controlled locally or remotely using the BERT GUI PC S/W which provides more detailed error statistics and test results.
Features and Benefits
Serial Data BERT:
- Bit error rate testing for
- STANAG 4539 (HF), Mil-Std 188-110C (WBHF), S4691 (UHF)
- DTE Interface: RS-422 or RS-232
- Synchronous: 50 bps to 120 kbps
- Asynchronous: 50 bps to 230.4 kbps
- Clock Source: Internal or External
- Protocol: EIA-530 Compliance
Packet Data BERT:
- Packet error rate testing for:
- STANAG 4538 (HF ARCS) – LDL, HDL & HDLP
- Ethernet Interface: 10/100 Mbits
- Protocol: RAP1/RAW over TCP/IP, UDP
Link Setup Test:
Link setup Performance testing for:
- Mil-Std 188-141B (ALE 2G), STANAG 4538 (ALE 3G)
Standard 63, 511 & 2047 bit, custom text or User Defined PRBS
Recorded & Displayed
- BER, bit errors, bit slips
- Sync loss
- Probability of Link
- Packet throughput
- Packet retry rate
Rack mount or Standalone
- Ethernet Interface: Control via RAP1
- Remote Control: Via PC GUI
- Time Measurement: End-to-End & Round-Trip Time (RTT)
- Bit Error Rate: Insertion of bit errors
This Product does not currently have any associated accessories.